Located high in the Himalayas, the picturesque Gurez valley in Kashmir is among the most mesmerizing places to visit in the world. Distanced about 123 kilometers from Srinagar and 86 kilometers from Bandipora, Gurez is perched approximately 8,000 feet above sea level. Home to a diverse wildlife and offering incredible natural beauty, this fairly unexplored destination deserves to be on the wish list of travelers across the world. Here’s a helpful travel guide to walk you through planning the ideal vacation in Kashmir’s Gurez valley.
Top attractions in Gurez valley:
A stunning amalgamation of mountains, river, and a valley, Gurez is a breathtakingly beautiful place to explore. It’s among some of the most stunning offbeat Indian destinations one can ever hope to visit. Grab some cheap last-minute flights if you don’t have time to reserve flights in advance and come to explore some of the most awesome attractions found in Gurez. Listed below are some of them to give you an idea of what you can expect when you visit Gurez valley in Kashmir.
- Habba Khatoon: Named after the renowned Kashmiri poetess, this is among the highest peaks in central Gurez and one of its top attractions. It is popularly believed that the poetess wandered about here in search of her beloved husband when he was taken captive by Akbar.
- Dawar: The central block of Dawar Gurez valley is sprawled across fifteen villages. A visit here will allow you a peek into tranquil country life with the simplistic elegance of locals leaving you spellbound.
- Harmukh: A massive and spectacular mountain, its peak stands elevated at more than 5,000 feet above sea level. Hike up to the top and enjoy panoramic views of the picturesque valley beneath.
- Razdan Pass: To enjoy indescribable views of the valley and gorges, head to Razdan Pass, the highest point between Bandipora road and Gurez. Check the Gurez valley map for details of the pass.
- Tulail Valley: A spectacular cluster of about five to ten villages, Tulail Valley is located approximately about 40 km from Dawar. It’s among the most scenic places Gurez valley in Kashmir is home to.
- Flora and Fauna: Gurez is home to a diverse variety of wildlife including Snow Leopard and the Himalayan Brown Bear.
What to do in Gurez valley?
Gurez valley in Kashmir offers endless excitement to tourists arriving for a trip. You can enjoy fun outdoor activities such as trekking, camping, fishing, and rock climbing among other things. Spend some time with the friendly locals and learn their way of life. Grab a mouthful of delicious local food made by them. Dig deep into the fascinating history of Gurez. Learn makes the spirited people of Gurez different from the others in Kashmir. The simple yet elegant wooden houses of the locals will change your idea of beauty forever.
Where to stay in Gurez valley?
In a bid to promote Gurez valley tourism as well as offer a comfortable accommodation option, a hotel has been set up at Dawar by the Jammu and Kashmir Tourism Development Corporation (JKTDC). You can either book for a stay at this Gurez valley hotel or choose from some of the rest/guest house options as well. Wherever you ultimately decide to stay, expect a comfortable if not luxurious accommodation. Also, while a couple of the rest houses provide cooks, do try out some of the eateries in and around the region as well.
Best time to visit:
At some point, you will wonder what the Gurez valley the best time to visit is. The ideal time to book an economy class or business class flights for vacationing at Gurez valley in Kashmir is between the months of May and October. This is because Gurez valley in Kashmir is sealed off during the winter owing to extreme weather conditions. Gurez valley weather can go as low as 10’C during the winters and a maximum of 27’C in the summer.
Travel advisory for Gurez valley in Kashmir:
To have a good trip sans problems, here are a few important things to keep in mind when visiting this spectacular place.
- Gurez valley in Kashmir is a heavily militarized zone. Thereby, you must always carry your ID and other suitable proof in case you are stopped at a checkpoint.
- If you want to go fishing in Gurez, you will need to take permission beforehand. You can get the permit at JK Government Fisheries located in Bandipora.
- Mobile service provider BSNL is the only one in the entire region.
- If you’re planning on driving, make sure to fill up the tank at Srinagar itself. Also, be mindful of sharp and unexpected twists, curves, and turns along the way.
- There are chances of the ATM at Gurez valley in Kashmir being out of order. So, ensure to stock up on whatever cash you might need from ATMs in Srinagar or Bandipora.
- Don’t forget to pack sufficient woolen clothes as temperatures in Gurez tend to go to the extreme even during the summer.
How to reach Gurez valley:
Srinagar Airport is the nearest airport to Gurez valley in Kashmir. While you may not find direct flights to the city, you can book cheap flights to Delhi and arrive there first. Once in Delhi, you can board one of the connecting cheap flights to Srinagar. The nearest railway station to Gurez is Srinagar Kashmir. Gurez is also well connected via regular buses to other major Indian cities.